Difference between Hotchkiss Drive and Torque Tube Drive in Tabular From
Compare Hotchkiss Drive and Torque Tube Drive
The Key Difference between Hotchkiss Drive and Torque Tube Drive is that In Hotchkiss Drive the spring takes torque reaction braking reaction, driving thrust. side thrust and weight of the body. Whereas In Torque Tube Drive, the torque tube takes torque reaction, braking reaction, driving thrust. while springs take the side thrust and weight of the body.
Hotchkiss Drive vs Torque Tube Drive Comparison Chart
|Hotchkiss Drive||Torque Tube Drive|
|The propeller shaft is Open in Hotchkiss Drive.||The propeller shaft is enclosed by a hollow torque tube in Torque Tube Drive.|
|In Hotchkiss Drive, Two universal joints are used.||In Torque Tube Drive Only one universal joint is used.|
|Slip joint is used in Hotchkiss Drive.||There is no Slip joint in Torque Tube Drive|
|Load-carrying capability is Very High.||Load-carrying capability is Very Low.|
|Used in Heavy Vehicles like sport utility vehicles and pick-up trucks.||Used in light vehicles like cars.|
- Hotchkiss Drive is the simplest and most widely used for real axle drive.
- The Propeller shaft is connected to the two universal joints and slip joints.
- Hotchkiss Drive Advantage
- Easy to manufacture and assemble.
- High load-carrying capability
- Easy and simple design
- Hotchkiss Drive Disadvantage
- It can occupy more space.
- Suspension weight is high.
Torque Tube Drive
- Hotchkiss Drive problem eliminated in Torque Tube Drive.
- Torque Tube Drive Advantage
- The Propeller shaft was present inside the Torque Tube only and there is no need for a Sliding joint on the Propeller shaft.
- Difference between Fluid Coupling and Torque Converter
- Difference between Single Plate Clutch and Cone Clutch